Friday 8 June 2007

Food poisoning and five-hour bus trips do not mix…

Ok, I’ll admit it. I had been rather cocky that my tummy had not given way to Montezuma’s revenge. After feasting on plenty of traditional Mexican cuisine for more than a week, my stomach has taken to the transitions very well. Hoping I would last the entire tour without tummy problems was drawn to a quick halt when I was awoken abruptly by chronic stomach pains that forced me to befriend the bathroom on spontaneous trips from 3am til 7am. Upon waking and groaning about just how I would manage a five-hour trip with nausea and tummy issues, I downed some tablets, and miserably walked off to the waiting bus. An hour in and my tummy slowly settled, but the nausea kicked in big time. Each twist in the road, twisted my tummy even more, to the point where I was actually sick on the bus – something I have not done since I was 10. Luckily I was discreet, and shifted myself to the front of the bus, where the travel-sickness was held at bay temporally by focusing on the horizon.

On our way to Oaxaca we stopped at a Mezcal factory, and observed how the authenic Mexican drink is made. Samples of the traditional worms were digested only by a handful of the game, while most preferred to knock back shots of the traditional mezcal, along with the creamy, sweet liquoirs. Back on the bus my fellow tour-mate experienced my same earlier fate – and after discussions, we worked out we both ate chicken the night before. Given I am not prone to travel sickness, and that I was plagued with pain for 24 hours, I am convinced it was food poisoning. Luckily for me, the afternoon and evening was free at the hotel. Unluckily for me, our hotel room had no hot water.

Today was by far the longest, most trying day of the tour. Bring on tomorrow…please!

No comments: